Orca Swim School began at Opal Hot Springs, Matamata in 1994 and expanded to include TeAroha Leisure Pools in 1999.
We can now welcome you to our new, indoor, heated pool at 15 Western Street, Matamata.
The Orca Swimming Programme has been developed and run by Raewyn (Wyn) Jacobs since 1994.
Qualifications and Experience
- Waikato Junior Record holder - Backstroke
- NZ Junior Gold Medalist - 50m Backstoke - 1964
- Waikato Age Group Champion
- Waikato Senior Champion
- Western Counties Masters Champion competing for the Port of Plymouth Swimming Club, South Devon, England - 1985
- Competed in World Masters Games - Hamilton - 1986
- Gold medalist in 4 events at South Pacific Masters Games - 2002
SwimTeaching and Coaching Experience
- Coached squads at Hillcrest Normal School Hamilton as part of Teaching Degree 1970-1972
- Primary/Intermediate school teacher from 1972.
- Whitleigh Secondary School, Plymouth, England, set up school swimming programmes 1985-87
- Coached squads for Ngaruawahia Swimming Club 1988-1992
- Matamata Swimming Club 1992-1994
- Coached gold medalists at Division Two National level and many swimmers to National Age Groups and Open level with with swimmers gaining NZ Age Group records and medals.
- Most successful Waikato Championships in 1993 with a team of 17 Matamata Club swimmers gaining 105 medals - 48 Gold, 28 Silver and 29 Bronze.
- Waikato Swimming Education Authority Swim Teachers and Coaches Representative 1990-1994.
- Set up Learn to Swim Programme at Opal Springs - 1994
- Coached Opal Club swimmers to Junior Nationals, National Age Groups and National Opens 1995-2004.
- Set up Learn to Swim Programme at TeAroha Pools - 1999.
- Built an indoor, heated pool at 15 Western Street, Matamata.
- Opened 13th May 2013
- The Teachers
- Frances Harrison...lives in the picturesque Karangahake Gorge and does relief teaching at local schools in the area. Frances has worked for Orca Swim School for well over a decade and loves the interaction and taking little ones from nervous beginners to confident swimmers.
- Her qualifications include NZFS Certification in Swim Teaching for all levels.
- Raewyn(Wyn) Jacobs...lives in Matamata, is a qualified school teacher who tutors children with learning disabilities(dyslexia) and is the owner/operator of Orca Swim School.
- Level Two coach/Bronze accreditation. NZSF Diploma in Swim Teaching at all levels.
- At times it is necessary to call on other experienced swim teachers to help out during times of staff absence.
We provide an excellent, quality Learn to Swim programme. Your children have the same swim teacher throughout the term so a good rapport and understanding is built between them. Our pool is Salt chlorinated and therefore much more beneficial for clients with allergies. The water temperature is from 31 degrees in summer to 33 or 34 degrees in winter. Safe enclosed outside area for children to play.